Saturday, April 4, 2009

T-plus 4d 7h. Calmer and cleaner

The Dilaudid finally kicked in about an hour ago. I'm still annoying to be around right now, but I'm not in constaint pain anymore so first thing I did was take a shower. I envy those of you who can take showers with a catheter sticking out of a bloody, still somewhat ambiguous mound with two foreign feeling mounds on your chest. It's going to take some time to get used to, and I hope the foreignness of the breast implants go away soon. For now, showers are one of those things where I wish I could fast forward time and get the results. Normally, showers to me are long bits of me-time where I can more or less relax, with the light pitter patter and the aromas enough distraction to keep me from boarding the wrong train of thought. Oddly enough they didn't bug me much as a pre-op either, I simply did not focus in offensive areas.

So I've decided I'm a Dilaudid fan, and I've made a little side-by-side comparison of Dilaudid vs. Percocet with various issues:
Timing
Dilaudid - Takes about 1 1/2 hour to kick in.
Percocet - Kicks in in less than 30 minutes.

Fatigue
Dilaudid - Not so bad. My typing's a little iffy here and I shouldn't drive, it's like you've been awake for 20 hours straight.
Percocet - Do not operate anything. It makes me loopy and my judgment isn't so great.

Euphoria?
Dilaudid - Nope...
Percocet - Kicks in about 45 minutes. Great time to call old relatives who dis-approve of this and say how great SRS is while a tube helps you pee :P

Lows?
Dilaudid - Nope...
Percocet - You betcha. I imagine it varies on the individual. I don't get lows from booze or pot but I do from this

Painkill factor
Dilaudid - Best test so far, it reduced my "8-9 pain" to "quite bearable." I felt like doings again, including eating.
Percocet - May vary on the base pain. I took it last night expecting more pain to come but I ended up in a euphoric pain free bubble where I felt over 100%, though 30% was where I really was...other episodes were less crazy

With all this talk about painkillers, I'm declaring it my official "second thing no one ever tells you about!" Which is detailed pain management... I'd gladly welcome other perspectives on this because it seems to be a subject no one's willing to bring up --- maybe it's because narcotics are involved?

No comments:

Post a Comment