Thursday, April 2, 2009

T-plus 2d 4h. This is where you can only depend on yourself.

So I had a little misfortune where after speaking with a nurse to confirm the proper catheter instructions, I must've misplaced the drain end of the catheter. I unplugged the end connected to myself and reached for the drain end. I couldn't find it, the nurse had already left, and then I started to panic. Since this is a family blog (lol) I'm not going to go into anymore detail. It sucked.

Feeling like a complete idiot, still having this headache, hungry but with no appetite, I had to reboot myself in "self-reliant" mode. This is where they wean you off the constant assistance and you need to get up and do something. So I got up slowly, closed the door slowly, removed my hospital gown slowly, put on a courtesy robe Dr. Meltzer provides all his patients, making sure to attach the pin with the drains on them to said robe, and just started walking around. It felt good. I'm already better off than peggy bundy walks but nowhere near my typical stride, which I feel might not work so well this early in the game. I did have some extra perkeset in me as well as an attempt to deal with the headache, but there wasn't as much pain to think of as I thought there'd be.
Getting up also gave the staff time to replace sheets and hospital gown.

But yeah, day 2 if you consider SRS day to be day 0 can be rather depressing. But it's all the more motivator to get your independence back...

No comments:

Post a Comment