Friday, April 3, 2009

T-plus 3d 12h. Still self-conscious as ever

So yeah, even three days after surgery, the surgical area is still swollen and weird. I brought loose fitting clothing on account of I knew there'd be swelling, but it dawned upon me a little too late that the swelling is so severe that it looks like a really lame tuck. Argh. The skin is quite raised. Enough so that I keep thinking "geez, I hope it doesn't heal like this." This has presented problems with clothing because even skirts will look funny with the amount of swelling present. Not to mention the capped catheter that sticks out quite a bit. My solution for this kind of issue: If you can't be discreet, be so non-discreet that no one can figure out what you're trying to hide and just think you're weird for different reasons.

So I spent much of today running around Scottsdale in a bathrobe over my clothing. Haha.

I guess you could say I did a little pre-shopping, after checking out a tourist location. Went to fashion square and looked around, but I'm in no condition to be trying stuff on, heh. Even with the sanitary napkins I feel -- well -- unsanitary. :(
Then I left my sunglasses in the bathroom which led me back there, meaning I did just a little too much walking today. I'm going to be black and blue tomorrow.

At least I think I will be. I don't know. A friend of mine was after a long excursion shortly after being allowed to walk again, but I don't know what she did. With me, I simply walked. Not too quickly or anything, in fact I passed a staffer downstairs who quipped "escaping, eh?" and replied dryly "you can't stop me, I'm going 0.5 miles an hour." :D Not Peggy Bundy slow but some healthier oldsters were gaining on me. I just did a lot of it.

It seems like I'm at about 30% of what I was as a pre-op right now, healing-wise. I was able to walk around a ton and I would. I'd walk around San Francisco, through the various shopping areas, once even walked to and from Coit Tower via the 4th St. Caltrain. So I don't think there's any kind of set mileage in terms of healing, it's basically a percentage of your pre-surgery peak.

I'm pretty optimistic now that I'll get back to my peak within a decent amount of time. :) I'm so happy that I'm comfortable doing stuff. I wouldn't feel like myself if I weren't.
(post was fleshed out at 20:29, seemed a little dry)

1 comment:

  1. LOL you went out shopping in a bathrobe?
    you know tv shows are made of that stuff
    :-)

    ReplyDelete